Thursday, October 30, 2014

Scariest Night of the Year!

Halloween! Oh how I love thee.

Growing up, and still, I love and enjoy all movies that the master and creator Tim Burtons directs. The Nightmare before Christmas will always been one of my top favourites and inspires me with my artwork and my creative process. So it'd be a bit silly if Halloween wasn't my favourite holiday, like, of all.

I have always loved getting dressed up for Halloween and getting my makeup done by my Dad, trying to be the coolest and scariest creature out there on that dark night. Candy was just a plus as dressing up was the highlight of the night!

Carving pumpkins with my Dad and Brothers was always the best, and I loved collecting every seed to roast and enjoy later.

Every year Halloween gets me excited like a little girl again, even at 25 when I sure as heck can't go trick or treating anymore, ha. But like I said, dressing up was the best part, not just the candy!

Sadly and unfortunately, ever since I moved out and became a full-fledged "adult" (*cough* never think I'll really act fully like an adult, ha) we have not been dressing up for Halloween and the 3 years we've been living in Alberta we haven't decorated our house either, not even put pumpkins on the front steps. So sad!

The thing that has saved that feeling of excitement for me, even if we don't dress up or decorate, is getting to see the excitement and joy on my Son's face. Even if trick or treating last year was scary going to stranger's doors, getting candy was the best part for him! That made it fun for us.

This year we're staying home, carving pumpkins tonight, and tomorrow on Halloween Mason will be trick or treating and I will be dressing up, even partially.

Here is how I practiced my makeup yesterday, although I didn't do a very good job on some of it. I'm going to be a dummy (like a ventriloquist doll) and tease my hair out majorly and be all awesome, ha. I don't care if I'm not going to a party with adults, I'm dressing up damn it!

Sadly we didn't decorate the house again this year, but I'm going to plan and go all out next year! I don't care where we are (if we've moved back to BC yet) or what!

Oh, also it's our 3 year anniversary of moving to Alberta tomorrow!

3 years ago tomorrow we got the keys to our house.... craziness. Time flies, eh?

Now, let me know what types of traditions your family has on Halloween? What is your favourite part about the holiday? What types of things do you like to dress up as? Comment on this blog post on go to my Facebook page and comment there!

~Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment