Monday, October 27, 2014

Scaly Adventure!

Lizards and Snakes and Geckos, oh my!

Ever since I quit my job at the Edmonton Humane Society almost 2 years ago I have wanted to do SOMEthing while also being a stay at home Mom. I am just not the type of person that can just sit around and do nothing all the time; or the type of person that just sits around taking care of the house and child. Not fun. Nope.

For the past year I've been doing some stuff with direct sales, but it hasn't really taken off as I hoped that it would. I just think I haven't really been that motivated to be successful in that type of "work".

Surprisingly, just recently a friend of mine approached me with the thought about applying to do these parties in Edmonton. What kind of parties you ask? Reptile Parties of course!

Edmonton Reptile Parties is a business that operates in Edmonton (duh) and they have people that go out and do birthday parties and educational presentations for schools and such with Reptiles, Amphibians, Arachnids, etc.

So this friend of mine wanted to do these parties with me so that together we would have enough animals to do the presentations. I was super excited because a few months back I got wind that Reptile Parties was hiring and wanted to do it, but I didn't have enough variety in the species I had on my own!
Galadriel, my fairly new Butter Stripe Corn Snake, is going to be one of the animals that I'll be using to do presentations with Reptile Parties. Since she is new to me I won't be allowing the kids to touch her just yet but she is super calm and will be a great presentation animal I believe. Once she is more used to me, and I know her really well, I'll start letting the kids touch and handle her. :)

She is super gorgeous and I think she'll be popular since she is so brightly coloured and has those super pink eyes!

Corn Snakes are also super popular pet Snakes and are really easy to keep so I think Corns will be a good one to suggest to any children wanting to get their own Reptile.

Another one of my animals that will be visiting the children with me will be my Crested Gecko, Enya! She is generally super calm, and is a really pretty girl. 

Enya is my only gecko that has sticky feet (and hence can climb walls and ceilings, etc) so that is always a great novelty with anyone as well! Crested Geckos are also super, super soft and velvety feeling which usually surprises people that aren't really used to the scaly babies.

Gaia will definitely be doing this with me! She is my first reptile ever and is super calm and chill and doesn't mind being handled by lots of little hands. I've taken her to multiple ERAS (Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian Society) events where she was held by a bunch of people and she did great! Of course afterwards you always should give your reptiles a break from handling after days like that.

The other guys I'll be bringing along with me are Draco, my African Fat-tailed Gecko, and Vlad, my Mexican Rosy Boa. Vlad won't be held by the kids at first since I don't know him well enough yet, but I'm sure he'll be good being touched. He's super pudgy and soft so I think that'll amuse anyone!

I'm super excited to do these reptile parties as I've always really loved educating people on reptiles, and their care and personalities, etc. Children always seem to be extremely curious and welcoming of these unusual pets and animals and I just love to see the looks on their faces when they get to touch or hold a reptile for the first time ever! It's just awesome. :)

This is a paying job, of course, and so that also makes me happy that I'll be able to bring in some extra money, even if it's not a ton. It'll also get me out of the house, which is exciting! Since winter has arrived, pretty much, I usually don't leave the house much to be outside and so getting out with this will be great. I might even be able to bring Mason along with me sometimes where he can be my little helper. :) I think he'd enjoy that!

Once we move back to BC maybe I'll even be able to start up another branch of Reptile Parties in the Lower Mainland, that'd be pretty awesome. :D

In the mean time, I'm super excited to start teaching littles about these awesome animals!!
~Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment